Sunday, August 7, 2011

Trying to Feel at Home


Living in Southern California has been really hard for me. It has been a way more difficult transition than I thought it would be. I grew up here and lived here until I was twenty-five so you'd think I'd be at home with all the driving, fast-food restaurants and sunny mild weather. One would think...but this summer off I've been trying to make the best of it. We've visited Idyllwild and Sequoia, spent a lot of time with family and been to the beach a couple times. The girls really like seeing people and getting to take long evening walks nearly every night.
So we have a little hands-off garden in the front and two tomato bushes in the back and a lemon tree. For the girls birthday I canned lemon curd to feel a little more connected with our land base. This week I oven-dried (we axed the dehydrator when we moved down) and canned some strawberry jam from the strawberries that are grown about two miles from our home. It felt nice, a little more like home and hopefully I will remember to engage in more activities like this while we are here.
My fall hands-off garden will include potatoes, garlic, and greens. They are easy and like the cool. I will still have my glorious broccoli plants (shrubs now) and resilient chard!!

No comments: