Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Coming Fall

So I know it's way too late for planting a lot of things in my garden at this point. I think it just feels autumnal right now and I'm trying to get the last hoorah in. The pumpkins failed, so I'll go another year without pumpkins. I think I transplant them too soon, my friend Jacquie says they need a lot of warmth to get going.

However, today I planted some lettuce, radishes and kohlrabi which I know will do well. I also took a chance and planted some buttercup winter squash and a few hubbards as well as a few onion seed. They won't take and I just used some cheap seeds from the co-op and Home Depot so it won't be a huge loss. I just dread the idea of winter coming and not having my own squash for soups. Last year I bought a bunch at the grocery store at the end of October and they kept into January, so I'm sure I'll have to do that again.

I also cleaned off the kitchen window sill to place a container for more lettuce and radishes. I'm going to try an onion- just to see what'll happen. I completely overlooked onions when getting my seed together this year.

Wow, stream of consciousness eh?! I'll post pictures later today or tomorrow. I need to get some potting soil.

No comments: