Saturday, August 15, 2009

No Fail Bread Recipe

So yesterday afternoon I realized that I haven't posted my favorite bread recipe on this blog yet. I love making bread. It is really simple and super satisfying. I don't buy bread at all anymore. I make a loaf or two per week and this works just fine. It goes fast because I don't have a slicer so some slices are more generous than others! This recipe can be totally modified based on your tastes. I modified a King Arthur Flour Bag recipe with my own ideas and a friends suggestion (play with the sugars).
Best Bread Recipe Ever
2 tsp yeast
1 1/3 C lukewarm water (never hot)
1 Tbsp. oil
2 Tbsp.s brown sugar, or molasses or honey- each produces a diff't taste, all are great
3 C flour
1 1/4 tsp salt

Place yeast in large mixing bowl and add warm water. I swirl mine to get most of it dissolved by moving the bowl around. Then add oil, sugars and salt- again sort of mix it around in a gentle manner. Finally add the flour and using your hands mix it together in the bowl. If it's sticky add more flour. It should bind together but not be wet or glossy. Once it's been mixed and formed into a ball, cover the bowl and let rise. Bread rises well at 65 degress or higher. In winter here I put the oven on warm and place the bread on the stove. Let rise about 30+ minutes, it should double in size. At this stage I like to melt a tablespoon of butter in the bottom of my glass loaf pan and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. I make sure the melted butter has been used to grease all of the loaf pan. You don't have to, grease your pan with oil for a vegan loaf. Next place your dough in the loaf pan- I sort of roll mine into a cylinder shape and place in the pan flipping it over at least once so all sides have butter on them.
Let the dough rise 1" over the top of the loaf pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from oven and place loaf pan with bread on a cookie rack- I think that is what it's called (the metal grid that cookies cool on)! When you're feeling brave flip the bread out, place upright and cover with a towel to cool.

Modifications:
Think about adding:
nuts
oats
olives
herbs
various types of flours- but be careful, start with a half cup at a time if changing flours
dried fruits
*cats
*dogs



* just kidding, unless you have mad skills and have turned kids into desserts


No comments: