Thursday, July 30, 2009

Foible Follow-up

So my last post...

Okay so I'm totally guilty of gross consumption as well. It was just the two different articles back to back.
The real point is we need to be mindful consumers. I had a great conversation with the owner of Canvas Works- a local yarn and fabric store in downtown Olympia about the China situation and industrial terrorism. Acrylic brought this up into our conversation and she told me that a yarn/fabric company only has to report where the material- wool, cotton, etc was produced as the materials origin rather than all the other stops it has made on the way. So an italian merino wool can be marketed as made in Italy but it spent ample time in China being dyed and spun! She said it makes it hard to track down where it's been. Some good companies are Brown Sheep and Green Mountain Spinnery- all made in the US alone. There are also great South American cooperatives like Aracuania. She also told me that a textile mill in South Carolina is supposed to open soon. They will be the only mill in the US once they open and they will offer workers a living wage.

And no, I didn't buy any yarn today.

No comments: