Thursday, July 30, 2009

Pass the Foible

Okay so I am usually pretty upbeat and maybe it's the heat that's getting me grouchy but man these two very different NYTimes articles just got me today.

So on one hand I'm reading about thousands of factory workers collapsing and being contaminated by toxic fumes from factories making acrylics, herbicides and rubber. It's awful and the government and big business are covering it up. Read the full article here.

Then I glance at the bottom of the page and lo and behold an article titled The New Antiquarians. All about the lavish decor preference of the 'modern rebels'- sisters Hollister and Porter. I was so annoyed. Headline should read: Trust fund kids in Brooklyn go old-timey! Oh and I really love the fencing gear.
I don't know, I'm being nasty but how can we be so asleep and so self-involved AND have the newspaper reporting on it? All in the same breath. A 34 year old collapses of a brain hemorrhage on factory floor, but meanwhile a 34 year old in NY thinks it's fun to play dress up. So salacious!

I've been boycotting acrylic and most chinese products. Well, until I'm totally broke (which needs to stop) but maybe the real 'antiquarian' to report on is someone who out of good conscience chooses to buy used because of human rights atrocities and only for necessities. I really think I can pass on the 78's and velvet loafers.

No comments: