Saturday, July 18, 2009

No Moss Grows Under Our Feet!

When I was a kid my mom would impulsively determine several times throughout the year that our furniture desperately needed to be rearranged. She would get going and move all of the living room furniture around. I always thought it was a little weird, but I notice that I get that way now, but instead of needing to move furniture I want to cook everything that I've been thinking about right then and there.
Today was like that. I made some lavender cookies, basil pesto and canned spiced honey as well as made mini pizzas from scratch- I topped them with caramelized onions (the ones from the farmer's market yesterday). It was a lot of fun and I got my fill of movement! Oh I also finished those socks.



This is spiced honey for adding to tea. You slice 1 lemon 5 times (six slices) and poke 2 cloves into each slice. Then you use 1 cinnamon stick for each jar and boil in the honey. It worked well, but I was hoping that the lemons and cinnamon stick wouldn't float at the top, but rather lay in the canning jars- well so far they're still floating!


This is a rad lavender shortbread made from mint and lavender grown in my garden. There is also 1 teaspoon lemon zest added. I thought it would be weird with mint, but it actually tastes great. I included a picture of the owl cut-out for D.L.
The recipe can be found at this website

Finally this is my basil pesto. This is the portion that didn't fit into my ice cube trays. I used basil, olive oil and almonds and a little salt and 4 cloves of garlic. I pretty much just eyeball it. The basil was from my garden, but I don't want to harvest my garlic just yet.
The best tip I ever got was to freeze pesto into ice cube trays and then pop them out into a plastic freezer bag. When it's time to use it you've got small sizes to work with.





No comments: