Thursday, July 16, 2009

Last Nights Dinner

So this isn't very sustainable and the only things local are the chives and fried tofu. However all ingredients were purchased from the co-op or the local asian market (that's how I justify it).




Okay so I made miso soup and avocado and cucumber sushi rolls. I use red mellow miso and begin by sauteing a little onion and garlic in the sauce pan. I then add the bokchoy and soften it up awhile. When it's ready (5-8 minutes) the miso paste, water and tofu are added. Lastly, I add green onion once it's in the serving bowls. My buddy Steven taught me how to make miso soup when I just fell off the turnip truck and had no idea what vegan was or Food Not Bombs or Cap'n Jazz. I love Steven, every time I make this dinner Justin and I end up talking about how wonderful he is and all of his Olympia adventures.
The sushi is super simple. I just buy the seaweed, sushi rice and my veggies- only one avocado and one cucumber make 5 rolls! I just spread a strip of rice on the seaweed put some chopped veggies on and roll it up. This is a good summer meal because there's not a lot of heat. Sushi doesn't really remind me of anyone, except maybe my dad or Cate when we ate sushi from Trader Joe's in the car while going to LA, but I'm not sure what we were doing. With my buddy Cate there are so many other funny foods that we've enjoyed, like STINKY SHRIMP, abscess soup, tons of weird spinach stories and flying fish sandwiches. So I guess sushi brings on quite a wide range of conversational topics!

No comments: