Friday, July 24, 2009

Seeds


This summer I've been reading Heaven, by Joni Eareckson Tada. My mom read this book while she was visiting Olympia awhile ago. In it Joni compares acorns being totally unable to fathom being a tall oak tree to what our earthly 'selves' will be to our heavenly bodies and yet still being totally ourselves (p.38).

The scripture she references is First Corinthians 15:42-44 "The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body." She highlights that the 'it' in this verse is still the same 'it'.

Since reading that I haven't been able to shake off that I'm just a seed of what God has in store for me. I like this comparison and I find it hopeful when I think about my flaws and weaknesses. We should be steadfast like little seeds moving onward to fulfill a greater purpose. It's just hard to see sometimes beyond all this stuff we invade our lives with.

No comments: